Friday, July 21, 2017

Weekly Finale: Poppy and the cure for Lana Del Rey

For this week's musical finale, I was going to review singer Lana Del Rey.

When I logged on this morning, I noticed "#LustForLife" trending on Twitter, due to Lana's newest album release, "Lust For Life". So I listened to it.

Big mistake. A Gregorian chant would be more chipper than Lana's music. Her music is background for her lyrics, which are derivative and joyless poetry, if I dare ruin the word "poetry" by comparison to anything involving Del Rey. Frankly, I wanted to shove an ice pick in my ears to make her music stop.

After I finished listening (Thank you, merciful pause button!), I needed something a bit more happy. Then I remembered the oddest interview I have seen in some time over at Circa, with Youtube singer Poppy. And I checked out her music.

Poppy is weird. However, Poppy's music is bouncy and positive, and the perfect cure to the ennui from Lana Del Rey's music. Here is her silly song "Computer Boy", about a girl who falls in love with her laptop:



However, I found her song "Interweb" to be her best, with a catchy tune and mysterious lyrics:



I won't go into the whole mystery that is Poppy. There's an article over at Wired that covers her in depth. Suffice it to say, she is a great cure for Lana Del Rey.

That's all for me this week. Enjoy your weekend, and try to avoid Lana Del Rey. I will return Monday for more blogging.

No comments:

Post a Comment