Friday, September 1, 2017

Weekly Finale: VersaEmerge

Yesterday, I was talking online to a friend who lives south of Houston. He was elated to have this week over, for obvious reasons (i.e. Hurricane Harvey). So let's do something upbeat for this week's musical finale.

Fortunately, I happened to run across an old band which I had never heard before. Sadly, the band is in a defunct state, but VersaEmerge was good while it lasted.

I first discovered them when I was looking for covers of the Rolling Stones' "Paint It Black". VersaEmerge did a nice punk version cover:



Admittedly, that isn't an upbeat song.

Fortunately, VersaEmerge has some better songs of their own. One of my favorites is "Stranger", which holds up well even in their acoustic cover:



But my favorite song of theirs is the lesser known "Mind Reader", which moves seamlessly between a light and breezy sound and a harder rocking sound:



Sadly, lead singer Sierra Kay moved on to a new band, Neaux, where her vocals are swallowed by sound effects, when they aren't being overwhelmed by too-loud guitars. She deserves better.

Time for me to step aside and let the weekend emerge. I will be back with more blogging Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment