Friday, November 18, 2016

Weekly finale: The Bangles

Welcome to the last weekend before Thanksgiving, which means it is time for our weekly musical finale.

This week's finale features a trip back to the 1980's, and a little known song from The Bangles, Hero Takes a Fall:



Listening to this song today brings to mind Dilbert creator Scott Adams theory about everyone has their own personal movie, which is our life as we see it, with ourselves in the starring role as our own hero. The lyrics of Hero Takes a Fall speak to the application of this theory to the circumstance of romantic heartbreak:
The hero is exposed when
His crimes are brought to the light of day
Won't be feelin' sorry, sorry, sorry
On the judgement day.

It wasn't me who said
There'll be a price to pay
And I won't feel bad at all
When the hero takes a fall
When the hero takes a fall
(Hero takes a fall) oh no.

Your mother told you stories
You substitute with girls who tell you more
Suddenly you sight a fancy chance
Since love is at your door.

We're seeing through you now
I saw it all before
And I won't feel bad at all
When the hero takes a fall
When the hero takes a fall
(Hero takes a fall) oh no.
Admittedly, that wasn't the connection Susanna Hoffs and Vicki Peterson made when they wrote the song, but that is what I read into it.

That is all for me this week. If I don't take a fall this weekend, I will have more on Monday. Enjoy your weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment