Friday, November 4, 2016

Weekly finale: Bobby Vinton

With another week under our belts, it is time for the weekly musical finale.

This week, I celebrate a man who was one of the great singers of the 20th century, even though some of his songs were a little sappy. The man is Bobby Vinton.

Possibly the best thing that ever happened to his career was the use of his song Blue Velvet in the movie of the same name by David Lynch:


The movie actually gave the song an unintended edge, at least in my memory, which actually makes it work better. Otherwise, it is just kind of a sappy song, even if it is performed well.

Here is another blast from the past. An appearance by Bobby Vinton on "American Bandstand" from 1964 (yes, that is Dick Clark at the beginning) singing Mr. Lonely:


That is all for me. Try not to be too lonely this weekend without me, because I will be back Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment