Friday, September 16, 2016

Weekend Closing Post: Amy Winehouse

Let's close it down for this week, but not before a final musical offering to the blogging gods.

This past Wednesday would have been singer Amy Winehouse's 33rd birthday, except she died of alcohol poisoning in 2011.

She first came to my attention with her song Rehab, which was both her biggest hit and her song that I hated the most:



Considering her cause of death, this song becomes an even more poignant cry for help, or song of denial, depending on your point of view. Regardless, I find it tasteless.

The rest of her music is actually rather good, with a very 50's-60's girl group sound to them. My favorite was Back to Black:


I credit music critic John Murphy with the perfect description of Back to Black, saying it "deftly steals its introduction from Jimmy Mack before spiraling off into a much darker place".

And that is it for me. Enjoy your weekend folks, and I will return on Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment