Friday, September 9, 2016

Weekend Closing Post: Buddy Holly

Time to close out this week. But before I go into the weekend, I offer you a little musical post for your enjoyment.

Singer Buddy Holly was born this week back in 1936, which would have made him 80 if he hadn't died in a plane crash back in 1959.

I was surprised to see Holly's Everyday as his top song on Spotify. While it is an ok song, it seems a little too syrupy for my tastes.



Of all his music, I think Holly's Peggy Sue was the best, especially with the intense drum beat it had. Kudos to drummer Jerry Allison and producer Norman Petty for the unique drum sound on the recording.



By the way, "Peggy Sue" was Jerry Allison's girlfriend and future wife, Peggy Sue Gerron.

However, the best Buddy Holly cover goes to Linda Ronstadt for That'll Be the Day:



That's it for me. I will see you back here Monday. Enjoy your weekend, and fly carefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment