Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Today's News July 13, 2016: Trump is a faker, but Ginsburg is out of line

I must confess the lede news stories today are kind of dull. Here is a quick sampling, and why I don't care:

Fox News:
State Department sent taxpayer money to group that attempted to oust Israel's Netanyahu

This is just typical government waste of my taxpayer dollars.

CNN:
5 takeaways from Paul Ryan's CNN town hall

This is just a typical government waste of a human being.

Vocativ (linked from Drudge Report):
ISIS Boasts Of Its Bloody Ramadan

So? It isn't like we didn't know ISIS was a bunch of inhuman waste.

Let's move on to something that should be front page news:

CNN:
Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg intensifies criticism of Trump: 'He is a faker'

Ginsburg isn't one of my favorite justices, but I do have to agree with her comments:
Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg's well-known candor was on display in her chambers late Monday, when she declined to retreat from her earlier criticism of Donald Trump and even elaborated on it.

"He is a faker," she said of the presumptive Republican presidential nominee, going point by point, as if presenting a legal brief. "He has no consistency about him. He says whatever comes into his head at the moment. He really has an ego. ... How has he gotten away with not turning over his tax returns? The press seems to be very gentle with him on that."
Needless to say, Trump fired back:
Trump himself slammed Ginsburg's criticism of him, telling The New York Times, "I think it's highly inappropriate that a United States Supreme Court judge gets involved in a political campaign, frankly."

"I think it's a disgrace to the court and I think she should apologize to the court," Trump added. "I couldn't believe it when I saw it."

He later called on her to resign, tweeting early Wednesday morning: "Justice Ginsburg of the U.S. Supreme Court has embarrassed all by making very dumb political statements about me. Her mind is shot - resign!"
I will take a Trump-Ginsburg debate over a Paul Ryan town hall anytime!

What is really great about this is they are both right. Everything Ginsburg said about Trump was on the money. But Trump is also right when he says it isn't appropriate for a Supreme Court justice to comment on a presidential campaign. Ginsburg should apologize for making the comments, even if she doesn't retract the content of them.

As for Trump, I have to admit, he is starting to grow on me...like a flesh-eating bacteria that will eventually lead to my death. But it is still interesting to watch it happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment