Friday, July 15, 2016

Was Alton Sterling shot justifiably?

A website called Blue Lives Matter has a review of the second Alton Sterling video, where they show conclusively what appears to be Sterling reaching for his gun.

Mind you, I don't think this necessarily vindicates the cops. With him down on the ground, did they do everything possible to keep him from getting his gun? I cannot answer that. However, it is obvious that Sterling was unable to retrieve the gun from his pocket, if that was his intent (it was still in his pocket after he was shot). Remember, it is possible that his arm was uncomfortable being in the position the officers were trying to force it into, and he never actually intended to pull his gun. Admittedly, I am speculating.

Ultimately, I don't see this as a racial killing any more. This was a decision by cops in the heat of the moment. Whether it was right or wrong should be decided in court. But I will say it is possible that in their shoes, I might have made the same decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment