Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Deadpool versus the Mormons

Back when Mitt Romney first ran for president in 2008, I suggested he shouldn't be elected because he's a Mormon. Needless to say, I took much abuse because of that, but hear me out.

I have nothing against Mormons in general. I consider them some of the hardest working people I have ever known, and I even count some of them as my friends.

However, remember when Ben Carson said the U.S. shouldn't elect Muslims to the presidency? That is how I feel about Mormons, and it comes down to the simple fact that neither group (as well as most religious fundamentalists) can differentiate between their personal beliefs and their political beliefs. This leads to bad laws which tend to limit personal freedoms, even as they threaten the lives of those who don't share the personal beliefs of said groups.

I offer exhibit A for your consideration, from Fox News, "Utah threatens liquor permit of theater showing 'Deadpool'":

Utah alcohol bosses have filed a complaint and will consider revoking the liquor license of a movie theater it says violated a state obscenity law by serving drinks while screening "Deadpool," which features simulated sex scenes.
Huh? Did I mention that Utah is 62% Mormon? But I digress...

Utah's Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control filed the complaint against Brewvies after three undercover state officers attended a screening of "Deadpool" in February. 
Investigators cited a state obscenity law that is generally used to regulate alcohol and nudity at strip clubs, which are required to have dancers wearing G-strings and pasties if the club serves liquor.
Good idea, since we all know how crazy people can get at the sight of the naughty bits. Best to keep them covered at all times!

Seriously, I didn't see anything in Deadpool that would prevent me from watching it again, or with alcohol. In fact, it might even be funnier with alcohol. Utah needs to get a life.

No comments:

Post a Comment