Friday, April 15, 2016

Monty Python Returns, or The Democratic Party Debate

Reading over the "highlights" (term used very loosely) of last night's Democratic Party Debate (between Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders) is comparable to hearing Bubba and Duke argue about Cold War detente policy. Don't expect to walk away educated, but it might be good for a laugh.

Let's start with this, from CNN:

While speaking of the crime bill Clinton's husband Bill ushered in as president, Sanders called a term Hillary Clinton had used in the 1990s -- superpredator -- "a racist term." Clinton has since said it was a word she shouldn't have used.
I can't agree more. As I recall, after Hillary said it, there was much complaining from the Kryptonian lobby...

Kryptonian lobbyist.

But the best exchange of the night was over the minimum wage (from Fox News):

...Clinton seemed to surprise Sanders by declaring she’d back legislation for a $15 federal minimum wage. 
“To suddenly announce now you’re for 15, I don’t think is quite accurate,” Sanders said, noting Clinton previously has pushed for increasing the hourly wage to $12. “I think the secretary has confused a lot of people.” 
However, Clinton said while she supports the goal of raising the wage to $12, she would sign legislation raising it to $15 if a Democratic Congress passes it. 
“I have said from the very beginning that I supported the fight for 15,” Clinton insisted. 
Monty Python couldn't have written this any better:

CLINTON: I support a $15 minimum wage.
SANDERS: You didn't say that before.
CLINTON: Yes I did. I've always supported it.
SANDERS: You said $12 before.
CLINTON: But if legislation came across my desk for $15, I'd sign it.
SANDERS: That isn't what you said.
CLINTON: Look, you old bastard...
SANDERS: Whore.
CLINTON: What did you just call me?
SANDERS: Nothing.
CLINTON: You called me a "whore"!
SANDERS: Stupid twit.
CLINTON: You did it again!
SANDERS: No, I didn't.

Replace Sanders with John Cleese, and Clinton with Eric Idle, and call it a "Monty Python Reunion Tour". The beauty of it is that as old as Clinton and Sanders are, Cleese and Idle wouldn't need much makeup.

No comments:

Post a Comment