Friday, March 11, 2016

Ben Carson to endorse Donald Trump

Washington Post: Ben Carson to endorse Donald Trump:

Conservative favorite Ben Carson, who last week suspended his campaign for the Republican presidential nomination, plans to endorse Donald Trump on Friday morning, according to two people familiar with his thinking. 
The endorsement, perhaps the most high-profile nod for Trump since New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie backed him, was finalized Thursday morning when Carson met with Trump at Mar-a-Lago, the luxury club owned by the Republican front-runner, the people said.
Wow. Just....wow.

If there is one thing I have learned over the years, it is that I need to frequently re-evaluate my politics. This event brings up a load of questions: Did I get Trump wrong? Or maybe my faith in Carson was misplaced?

I have to bring this back to Thomas Sowell. When Sowell's writing first came to my attention, I read it semi-religiously. His straightforward talk about economics is both accurate and full of life lessons for everyone. His best, most accurate and simplistic quote:

"There are no solutions; there are only trade-offs."
For example, if you want socialized healthcare, you can have it, but it will come with a large price tag.

Great stuff, but...then the Rush Limbaugh/Donovan McNabb controversy hit. Sowell wrote a column defending the indefensible, which was Rush's mistaken view of sports journalism and McNabb.



This created a gray area for me. No matter how brilliant Sowell was on other topics, his defense of Rush was nothing more than partisan politics.

That said, Ben Carson never struck me as a partisan. But maybe he is more partisan than I thought? Or maybe he has a line of thinking about Trump which is wrong?

For example, Rush viewed the McNabb situation through a political lens, which doesn't work in sports journalism, where the writers tend to be more in favor of their topics. They root for the home team, unlike political journalists who brutalize their home politicians. Rush was wrong, and so was Sowell indirectly.

Perhaps Carson is mistaking Trump for someone he can support? Were my thoughts on Trump wrong, or is Carson wrong? I lean towards Carson being wrong.


No comments:

Post a Comment