Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Pro-Abortion/Pro-Gay-Marriage = Anti-Religious-Liberty?

I saw the tweet above from Seth Mandel, an editor for the New York Post, and I was stunned. I have followed Gary Johnson since he ran for president in 2012, and I never once heard him opposing religious liberty. Did I miss something from Johnson?

I sent Seth a message, to which he hasn't responded, so he may yet correct me on this. But the only thing I can see is that Seth is equating Johnson's pro-abortion stance with "anti-religious-liberty". However, Johnson is only pro-choice up until viability. And by pro-choice, I don't mean requiring women to get abortions, which could legitimately be argued as an anti-religious-liberty position.

Speaking as a Christian, I don't feel my religious liberties are being threatened by Johnson's abortion stance.

Maybe Seth is equating Johnson's pro-gay-marriage stance with anti-religious-liberty? Johnson is in favor of legalizing gay marriage at the national level, but that doesn't prevent religious people from getting married under their respective religious values. Any male and female can still get married as Catholics, Muslims, Jews, Mormons, or whatever their religion happens to be.

Ultimately, the gay marriage issue is about contract law and how government views marriage. As long as contract law and the government only recognized heterosexual couples as "married", it was a civil rights issue. That leaves only two choices: One, completely remove any recognition of marriage from government laws and contract law; or two, make government and contract law recognize gay marriage equally. Note that nowhere in this are religious marriages threatened. In fact, just the opposite: If a religion were to recognize gay marriage, their rights would be trampled by laws only recognizing heterosexual marriage.

Remember, "freedom of religion" is about the government laws being restricted from favoring ANY religion. I have yet to see a stance from Gary Johnson where he supports a law that favors any religious view.

Sorry Seth. While Gary Johnson's views might not be popular with the religious crowd, he isn't suggesting anything that would infringe on their right to practice their respective religions.


No comments:

Post a Comment