Monday, March 14, 2016

Ben Carson's Reasoning

When Ben Carson decided to endorse Donald Trump, I was floored. Fortunately, Jonathan Easley at The Hill managed to get Carson to give him the rationale behind Carson's endorsement.

Here is a point-by-point breakdown of the interview:

1. Trump is lying...
“I needed to know that he could listen to other people, that he could change his opinions, and that some of the more outlandish things that he’s said, that he didn’t really believe those things,” Carson said.

When asked which statements Trump might back away from, Carson demurred.

“I’ll let him talk about that because I don’t think it’s fair for me to relay a private conversation,” he said.
Translation: Trump is saying a lot of crap he doesn't really mean, so Carson is cool with him.

Bring out the bear for this one...


2. Trump and Carson are both outsiders...
...Carson said his path to supporting Trump began in earnest in September at the second Republican presidential debate in Simi Valley, Calif. That debate took place not long after Trump had achieved front-runner status and a short time before Carson would challenge him atop the polls.

There, Carson said, the two men bonded over their shared status as outsiders who had flummoxed the media and party elites. Both also shared a strong distaste for being politically correct. The connection grew stronger as they crossed paths at subsequent debates.

“He and I have talked over for months about the fact that we had a lot of alignment and there would probably continue to be some association,” Carson said.
Having shared interests is a good basis for a friendship, but I have had lots of friends I wouldn't endorse for president. But let's move on...

3. Carson doesn't think Ted Cruz can win the general election...

“I think it would be very difficult to convince the independents and Democrats to come over and support him,” Carson said.

Carson said his decision not to support Cruz had nothing to do with the Texas senator’s campaign circulating a false story about him dropping out of the race before the Iowa caucuses.
Carson is on the mark here. As an independent with libertarian views, I consider Cruz the kind of candidate for whom I would have to hold my nose to vote.

4. Carson thinks Marco Rubio and John Kasich can't win... 

“I didn’t see a pathway for either,” Carson said. “That was the same reason I dropped out, because I didn’t see a pathway to victory for me.”
5. This is a maybe, but... 

As for the possibility of joining the ticket as a vice presidential candidate?

“I leave the door open,” Carson said.

“My primary focus is to make sure we get the kinds of policies in place that are really going to solve our problems and are going to preserve the American dream for the next generation. If serving as vice president is going to make that more likely, then I’m willing to do it.”
If number 5 turns out to be true, we can cross out the first 4.

That said, even if Carson isn't going to be Trump's veep, I wouldn't be surprised to see Carson get a cabinet-level post (Secretary of Health and Human Services maybe?). My money is on Carson getting a job somewhere in the Trump administration.

All that said, this reminds me of the following quote about honesty:

"See they conducted experiments on convicts ... I don't know on what grounds they reason a man in jail is a bigger liar than one out of jail ... The chances are telling the truth is what got him there ... It would be a big aid to humanity, but it will never be, for already the politicians are up in arms against it ... It would wreck the very foundation on which our political government is run ... If you ever injected truth into politics you'd have no politics … Even the ministers are denouncing it now … Humanity is not yet ready for either real truth or real harmony."--Will Rogers

No comments:

Post a Comment