Thursday, May 5, 2016

What is Congress's "job"?

I was watching this video from 60 Minutes, "Dialing for Dollars", which discussed how U.S. congressmen spend roughly 20-30 hours week doing nothing more than calling donors to raise campaign money. According to the video, this started with the Supreme Court's infamous Citizens United decision.

One of the things this story mentioned was the current Congress's reputation for doing nothing. I always get a kick out of that, because we equate Congressional work with jobs people do every day. If you are working, you must do something! Will Rogers had some great comments about this:

"Papers say: "Congress is deadlocked and can't act." I think that is the greatest blessing that could befall this country."
"This country has come to feel the same when Congress is in session as when the baby gets hold of a hammer." 
"The thing about my jokes is that they don't hurt anybody. You can say they're not funny or they're terrible or they're good or whatever it is, but they don't do no harm. But with Congress — every time they make a joke it's a law. And every time they make a law it's a joke." 
Personally, I would vote for a congressman who promised to go to Washington and vote against everything. When I hear people complain about Congressional vacations being too long, I would vote for them being on vacation 11 months out of the year. I would suggest the two scariest words in the English language could be "congressional action".

But if they aren't supposed to do anything, then what is their "job"? To keep the president in line, of course! And I would say the Republican do-nothing Congress has done an awesome job of that. Kudos!

No comments:

Post a Comment