Thursday, May 5, 2016

Who Will Be the Libertarian Presidential Nominee?

March 16, 2016: This was when the TRUTH called the major party presidential nominees, Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton. Since then, the Media has flirted with scenarios of Ted Cruz, John Kasich, and Bernie Sanders. Now, only Sanders remains in the race with a lottery ticket's chance of winning. Yay me.

Now it's time for me to predict the Libertarian presidential nominee, and this is not nearly as easy as the majors were. The three main Libertarian candidates are all a step above Trump and Clinton. Here are the candidates, based on their finish in the Libertarian Party's poll, Who won the Libertarian Presidential debate on Stossel?:

1. Austin Petersen (32%): I am partial to Petersen, mainly because he has youthful enthusiasm combined with the confidence of his beliefs. He could make a very effective messenger for the Libertarian Party. On the other hand, his résumé is a bit thin for my tastes. On the third hand, Trump's résumé is equally thin. I would take my chances on Petersen. My guess is the Libertarians are leaning towards Petersen, but it is by no means a lock.

2. Gary Johnson (28%): I voted for Johnson in 2012 when he was the party's nominee. He has the résumé (two-time governor of New Mexico), but Petersen really looked a lot better in the debates. If the Libertarians manage to get a candidate on a debate stage with Trump and Clinton, do they want the white bread, dry as a bone Johnson, or the energetic Petersen? Libertarians may go with the more experienced Johnson, but I think that would be a mistake, even though I would vote for Johnson anyway.

3. John McAfee (20%): After McAfee's adventures in Belize, I have a hard time supporting him for any political office. He seems like a nice enough guy, and his political views are in-line with mine, but the anti-virus company's founder just strikes me as a little too odd to make for a great presidential candidate. I see him as an also-ran for the Libertarian nomination.

So there is my prediction: McAfee will NOT win the nomination.



No comments:

Post a Comment