Monday, June 6, 2016

The Greatest Dies

There was only one big story this weekend: The death of Muhammad Ali.

Perhaps his greatest eulogy came from one of his childhood friends, a man named Sonny Fishback:

He ain't hearing that. He saying this is wrong: 'I got white friends but I can’t play with them. I got people that I like but I can’t go the same school as them. I got people I want to talk to but we can’t be in the same neighbourhood. Something is wrong with this picture!' 
...He was saying we got to do something about it. And the key was – I don’t know if he ever said it – but the key was it ain’t about your colour, little man, it’s about your character. 
He demonstrated a certain kind of character to show people ‘Oh yes I can': that’s why whenever he see a black person: ‘Oh, you beautiful’, to give them the confidence and encouragement and knowledge to contradict what they've been taught all their life. 
...That was his mission... to break up this foolishness [that race is a barrier] and he did it through a vehicle of boxing because he became one of the greatest boxers to have ever lived. 
But I like to look at that other bigger picture. 
He fought racism. He fought discrimination. He fought poverty. He fought bad character – all through the vehicle of boxing.
That is the irony of Muhammad Ali: He brought the world together by beating up people.

 (hat tip to Entrepello for the pic)

I remember watching Ali fight when I was a kid. I didn't really appreciate how good he was until I had grown older and seen a lot more boxers. I would call him the greatest during boxing's golden era. When you have to beat boxers like Joe Frazier and George Foreman to get your title, you know you have earned something.

What made Ali great was his unbelievable speed for such a big man. The following scene was from his exhibition against Michael Dokes in 1977. Look closely, and you will see him dodge 23 punches in 10 seconds. Also note that he was 35 at the time:

(hat tip to Indy 100 for the GIF) 

Sadly, boxing has died out since Ali's time. Pay-per-view killed it. I cannot even tell you who the world heavyweight champion is now.

But there was a time when Muhammad Ali could go anywhere in the world, even China, and be recognized. Everyone loved Ali.

My favorite Ali moment came long after he left boxing. When he lit the torch at the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta, I was amazed. 



We all knew he was suffering from Parkinsons Disease at the time, and it showed from his hand shaking. But it made no difference to those of us who had grown up watching him. This was Ali! There was nobody on Earth who was a more appropriate athlete to light that torch, at any Olympics!

If I had to make a movie about Ali, that scene would have been the last one in the film, because it was the last time I saw him. What a way to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment