Wednesday, June 8, 2016

My Victory Lap

It's time for my "I told you so" moment with Vox's Matthew Yglesias. 

Last week, Yglesias said Bernie Sanders would quit when it was clear that Hillary Clinton had the nomination in the bag, but not until after California. I said I thought Sanders would take it as far as he can, even to the Democratic National Convention.

Now that it is semi-official that Hillary has won, here is what Fox News reports is Sanders' response:

As Clinton now launches a general election battle against presumptive rival Donald Trump, Sanders remained defiant at an early Wednesday morning rally in Los Angeles. Far from bowing out, he vowed to campaign through the final primary next Tuesday in Washington, D.C., and then “take our fight for social, economic, racial and environmental justice to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania,” the site of the convention. 
The crowd erupted in cheers as Sanders announced he’d keep going, a decision he kept close to the vest right up until his remarks. 
Sanders closed by declaring: “Thank you all, the struggle continues.”
I am reminded of the words of Dylan Thomas:

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. 
I give Sanders all the credit in the world for fighting on, even if I think his political philosophy is disproven garbage.

No comments:

Post a Comment