Thursday, June 9, 2016

Happy Birthday Cole Porter!

Today, Cole Porter would have been 125 years old. As Yogi Berra might say, he would probably be dead even if he were alive.

But here are some of my favorites songs he wrote, with my favorite version of them (in no particular order):

I've Got You Under My Skin by Frank Sinatra: Sheer musical perfection with Sinatra's voice, Count Basie's orchestra, and arrangements and conducting by Quincy Jones. Does music get better than this?



Anything Goes from the opening credits of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom: How many songwriters get a music video directed by Steven Spielberg, with the lyrics in Mandarin? I feel safe in assuming the answer is "just Cole Porter".




Don't Fence Me In by Bing Crosby and the Andrews Sisters:




I Get a Kick Out of You by Frank Sinatra: Sinatra starts this one a little slow, but once he gets rolling, this one is a real "kick".




Let's Do It (Let's Fall in Love) by Ella Fitzgerald:


No comments:

Post a Comment