Friday, June 10, 2016

Weekend Closing Post: Olivia Newton-John

Another week comes to a close. But I have one more treat before I go...

When I was growing up, I had a crush on Olivia Newton-John. Aside from the fact she was gorgeous, she also had the voice of an angel.

Her first hit, If Not for You, was kind of a simple song. I found this video of her singing it on an Australian tv show from 1971:




Considering how over-produced most singers are today, Olivia's performance here is almost quaint.

Through the mid-1970's, Olivia had multiple #1 hits such as I Honestly Love You and Have You Never Been Mellow.




Note the way she hits the high notes on Have You Never Been Mellow. Also note the jeans she's wearing. Oh yeah, that's mid-1970's fashion!


Then in 1978, she did the movie Grease, and her career took a decidedly sexy turn:



After Grease, she released the album Totally Hot, which I considered one of her best. A Little More Love was the first song released from it:



Olivia's last big hit was the sexually suggestive Physical in 1981:



While Olivia's career has continued, she really hasn't had the success she had back in the 1970's and early 80's.

No comments:

Post a Comment